Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Burt

Burt is a good guy. He runs the temporary billeting operation here, ensuring that soldiers transiting through this base have a place to rest their head for the night. Since there are thousands of beds here, he has a big job. Part of my task here was to help Burt automate his processes. I was pretty successful and they are now totally automated.
Being a good guy, Burt hooked me up. A friend of his was off post today with an MWR trip and Burt asked her to drop by a sushi restaurant and bring some sushi back to camp. He squared both me and his lieutenant away (the LT also loves sushi). The meal was great... there was ebi, maguro, salmon, crab, and several rolls to choose from. No sake or Sapporo, but lots of soy sauce and wasabi.
Burt was able to give me a very rare gift... while I was eating the sushi, I was mentally transported back to hanging out with friends at sushi places back home in Hollister, Morro Bay, and Pismo. Burt was able to give me a little slice of home and take me away from this place, if only for a couple minutes.
Thanks, Burt. Who knew raw fish could help so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home