Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving

This day kind of snuck up on us here and I didn't really even think about it until just a few hours ago.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I can still remember being at the dinner table last Thanksgiving and Christmas back in the states. I said a quiet prayer for the men and women fighting in a foreign land who couldn't be with their famlies during the holidays. It's mildly ironic to me to be on the other end of that 10,000 miles now; praying for my wife and son's protection while I'm gone.
It's tradition for officers on active duty to work the serving line at Thanksgiving (and Christmas) meals, so i'll be doing that tomorrow in the early afternoon. I did the server-thing back in the 82d and it's a cool tradition; I get to talk to a lot of troops that way.
Despite being over here, I have a lot to be thankful for this year. It's my first Thanksgiving as a father and I'm beyond thankful, I'm grateful that Hunter was born happy and healthy. Really, that's the most important thing in the world to me.
I'm thankful for my beautiful wife who's pulling double duty as dad and mom back home. Her strength is an inspiration to me over here.
I'm thankful for all the friends and family who support me and my family. It's nice that so many people check this blog to see how i'm doing and to offer words of encouragement. Sometimes I need those words more than other times and I always appreciate them.
Finally, I'm thankful that my mission doesn't call for my troops to go in harm's way. I try to be the best leader for them that I can be, but sometimes leadership isn't enough to protect soldiers from killers trying to do them harm. I'm thankful that we're here with hot showers, plentiful chow, and no mortars flying at us.
For me, though, tomorrow will only be a small deviation from Groundhog day. After serving dinner to the troops, I'll be back here at the office working on that long term project I'm been doing for months now.
I sincerely hope that everyone back home has a good time hanging out with family tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home