Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Please Direct Me to the Restaurant

I was sitting in the Air Force Base’s billeting tent trying to work my way over to where Ron lives and got hungry. My ride wasn’t going to be there for another two hours, so I asked the front desk sergeant where the chow hall was (they have people in the air force that their entire job is lodging. Their job title is probably something like “Lodging and Shuffleboard Director”). Anyway, I asked the sergeant where the chow hall was and she said “Sir, this is an Air Force base. We don’t have a chow hall.”
“No chow hall? Where do people eat around here then?”
“It’s called a DFAC {Dining Facility}, sir”
“Oh,” I said, “in that case, can you please direct me to the five star restaurant with the best French chef on base?”
Pansies.
So I walked over to the restaurant/chow hall/DFAC and had a pretty nice meal. That is, until some Air Force sergeant sitting at the table next to me started harassing some airman. “Hey airman.” The airman ignored him. “Hey you, airman.” The airmen heard him, but was pretending that he didn’t know who the sergeant was referring to. “Hey you, Airman. Hey You! You with the mimosa!”
That last part didn’t really happen, but hopefully Rick got a kick out of the inside joke.
I’ll blog some more once I meet up with Ron.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that part really DID happen (at a different time and place)! In fact it resulted in a terrible pinkie strain that forced a light duty medical for 2 weeks and a NON-QUAL in CQB (Close Quiche Battle).

Those were tough days.
-Rick

5:08 PM, December 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to add that I can still remember when you coined that phrase; in Downtown Century Cinemas after some movie. I was laughing so hard I had to lean against a wall to keep from falling down. That was one of the funniest things I've ever heard!! Sarema and Cali just looked at us like we were crazy.

It'll be good to have you back so I can stop moping around.

5:14 PM, December 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home