Monday, September 05, 2005

Bad Day

The good news is that a bad day in Kuwait usually doesn't involve explosions like bad days in Iraq do. The bad news is that we're human and we all have bad days. Welcome to my bad day.
It started with breakfast. The chow was fine, but somehow I lost my favorite Wiley-X sunglasses (the kind that keep the dust and wind out of my eyes) in or near the chow hall. I searched everywhere to find them, including the mess hall garbage, but to no avail.
Then, on the way to work, I realized that I didn't have my security badge. I needed to get inside the secure facility this morning and couldn't find my security badge. I was sure that I had left the badge in my other pants, but before I went back to the barracks to grab it, I went to my trailer. I sat down at my desk (i work outside the secure facility) and checked my email. The gymansium manager emailed me that I had dropped my security ID badge in the gym on saturday. He was holding it and I could come pick it up. Losing your badge is an express ticket to an ass chewing from your boss's boss. Sheesh.
On the way over to pick up my badge, the wind picked up and the sky turned brown; the predicted 2-day-long dust storm had arrived. You physically cannot walk around in this storm without something to protect your eyes and I had just lost my sunglasses. I got my badge and headed back to the office.
As the old wives tale goes, bad things come in threes. I didn't have to wait long for the third thing... Having fought my way through the blowing dust to the PX, I was buying new sunglasses when I realized that my debit card was missing. "You have got to be kidding me," I thought. This just gets worse and worse. I couldn't remember the last place I had seen it, but I thought it was the smaller PX by my barracks. I trudged back over there and was not surprised to find that no one had turned in the card. Then I went back to the office and tried to figure out how to call a 1-800 number from a military phone in order to report my debit card missing.
I tried taking a picture of the dust storm, but it just looks like the lens is a little dirty. Maybe I can get a better picture soon. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home